Providing Professional Development in College Access and Success
The Options Institute provides professional development in college access and success, offering the following:
- a focus on specialized knowledge and skills for high quality advising
- a focus on working with underrepresented populations
- workbooks, handouts and electronic resources
- facilitation by current practitioners and experts in college access
- intensive, interactive methods with real-life scenarios
- attention to the needs of adult learners, allowing participants to build on what they know and immediately apply what they learn
Our hallmark program is the Foundation Course for College Access Counseling. This certificate course covers the essential knowledge counselors need to help young people through the college process. The program emphasizes fundamental counseling skills and youth development approaches to working with students. We offer a variety of stand-alone seminars on related topics, such as working with immigrant students, working with students with disabilities and how to lead financial aid workshops for students and families.
The Options Institute also contracts with organizations to develop and provide training. We have worked with the NYC Department of Education, NYC Administration for Children’s Services, iMentor, New York Cares, and NYU’s College Advising Corps, among others. The Options Institute has also trained in Chicago Public Schools and for the Kinesis Foundation in Puerto Rico.
Registration is open for the 2019-2020 academic year.
352 West 110th Street
New York, NY 10025