Legal services and tenant-organizing support to low-income residents on the west side of Manhattan
Note: Due to the Coronavirus outbreak, the Law Project is not accepting walk-ins. All contact will be done by telephone.
The Goddard Riverside Law Project provides free legal services and tenant-organizing support to low-income residents on the west side of Manhattan in order to preserve affordable housing and improve living conditions. The program initially focused on single-room occupancy (SRO) tenants, but has expanded to include tenants living in other types of housing.
The project assists tenants with solving a wide array of housing-related problems, including eviction, harassment, rent overcharge, illegal lockouts, lack of essential services such as heat and hot water and other poor building conditions. The project staff consists of attorneys and tenant organizers who work together with individuals and groups of tenants. We educate tenants about their rights and work in coalition with other community groups on citywide campaigns.
We provide the following services:
- Free legal representation in nonpayment, holdover and Housing Part proceedings in the New York City Housing Court for:
- SRO tenants living on the west side of Manhattan, from 14th Street north; and
- apartment tenants living in the area from 100th to 116th Streets, from 5th Avenue to Riverside Drive.
- tenant organizing and legal advocacy for individuals and groups of tenants concerning their rights
- developing tenant leadership and providing support to individuals and groups of tenants, including tenant associations
- advocating before elected officials, administrative agencies and legislative bodies
- helping tenants identify and obtain housing-related benefits
- conducting know-your-right trainings, workshops and legal clinics for tenants in the community
- screening tenants for consumer debt–related issues and providing referrals as needed
The Law Project co-hosts a series of monthly housing clinics sponsored by City Councilmember Gale Brewer.
51 West 109th Street
New York, NY 10025
Thursdays, 4-6 pm